Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Sight for Sore Eyes

Lucas had been showing signs that he was having vision problems.  He would squint, cover one eye, and rub his eyes.  He eventually started telling me that his eyes were hurting.  Then I noticed that one eye was starting to look droopy compared to the other.  

I made him an appointment with the eye doctor.  I didn't know how it would go.  He did awful at the dentist not too long ago so I didn't have high hopes for the eye doctor.  But, I was pleasantly surprised by how big and helpful he was.  He followed all of the instructions, and he even allowed them to dilate his pupils (which I have heard is very uncomfortable.)

I was not surprised to learn that he did indeed have a vision problem.  But, I was surprised by how bad it was.  I don't know numbers, but I know that his lenses are thick and that the doctor said that it was a very strong prescription for a three year old.  

We ordered him his glasses and went to pick them up a week later.  They warned me that he might put up a fight because the prescription was so strong.  They said that it might take him a while to get used to them.  But, as usually, my big boy took everything so well.  He has been wearing them every day without fail.  He even reminds me in the morning to put them on.  He is as gentle as a three year old boy can be with them too. 
 
 
 
On the way to school last week we had this conversation.

Lucas: Momma, you have glasses like me!
Me: Yep, your right!
Lucas: So, you have glasses and I have glasses.  My eyes are broken that is why I have glasses.  They make me see better.
Me:  That's right buddy.  I bet you are so happy that you can see now!

Long pause...listening to music...talking about trains...

Lucas:  Thank you Momma.
Me: For what?
Lucas:  For fixing me...for fixing my eyes.
Me:  Sniff, sniff, sniff.  Your welcome!  Sniff, sniff, sniff.

I could eat him up!

4 comments:

  1. Awww he looks so handsome with his glasses! Kate, my oldest, just got glasses too. Happy to hear he's doing so good with them and that's just precious that he thanked you! What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that we are going to be best friends with the eye doctor. We have taken them in to get adjusted twice already and are going again this week. Can't wait until he wont be so rough with them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you get to read it when you are away!

      Delete